Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire

An interesting article caught my attention during my daily research on Monster. It talks about the consequences of getting caught lying on a resume, as well as presenting the fact that over 50% of job hunters do so. I’ll let you head to the article if interested, but I thought I’d reprint the interesting anecdote that starts it off:

“When a woman we'll call Mary was offered a high-level student-services position at a prestigious college, she was thrilled to accept. But two years later, Mary was fired despite strong performance reviews and a reputation as a rising star at the college. The reason? She lied on her resume -- and got caught.

An HR initiative requiring employees to furnish college transcripts revealed Mary lied about having a master's degree. It wasn't the lack of a degree that cost Mary her job; it was her dishonesty. Unemployed and with a blown reference to boot, Mary demonstrates what can happen when you lie on your resume.”

Has anybody here ever lied or thought about lying on a resume? And if so, did you get caught?

2 comments:

  1. That was pretty bad for her. Guess she was too excited. I gotta keep that in mind-honesty in resume. (just started mine for free online at nuresume.com) And I think I won't be able to lie on an important written document.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard that it is estimated that approximately 50% of resumes have "truth stretching" items. That sure seems high - wonder if it is true.

    ReplyDelete